Thursday 18 June 2009

How tough is tough-as-nails?

RAAM just started. The Race Across America is arguably the toughest event (of any kind) in the world. In its 28-year history only 200 racers have finished. If you are RAAM tough you are tough-as-nails. 9-miles, another epic event, is fast approaching. This is a popular 24-hour off road race which beats you up to within an inch of your life. Finishing a 24-hour race, let alone racing it, is a major life achievement for most weekend worriers. Although few Manitobans have attempted RAAM (an expensive endeavour), each year a number diehards test themselves against some of the worlds best ultra-distance mountain bike racers at 9-mile. Each year, like clock work, I ask myself if I have what it takes to drive my body and mind to its absolute limits. I am fit enough? Tough enough? Could I endure the pain and suffering while fighting off the mental demons that eat your soul? Could I?

I have raced against some inspiring, and amazingly tough-as-nails racers who can mine the depths of despair and find gold (Dallas, Kurt, Lindsay Gauld etc). Even these super men, however, pale in comparison to Arvid Loewen, a +60 year old from Winnipeg.

If you need some inspiration read this Here, Here and Here. Then go and live a life with purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment